Sport Tourist Attractions
Los Angeles Dodgers
Los Angeles hosts a number of world-famous sports teams, including professional organizations like the Dodgers and the Lakers, as well as college teams such as the UCLA Bruins and the USC Trojans. See the list of Venues for links to sports centers such as Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and Staples Center.
Sports Teams in/near Downtown L.A.
Venue: Dodger Stadium, Elysian Park
- Dodger Stadium Tours - The Championship Tour gives fans an opportunity to view Dodger Stadium in a way only the players do. This behind-the-scenes tour lets fans visit restricted areas and view the ballpark from a whole new perspective. (Seasonal availability)
- Dodgers Top of the Park Gift Shop - The Dodgers official team store is open daily 10AM to 5PM, so you can purchase Dodger souvenirs, even when it's not baseball season. You can also visit the upper bleachers of the stadium and take pictures of the field below. Outside of the gift shop you'll find a spectacular view of the buildings in downtown L.A. Parking is free! To get there drive up to the stadium and tell the attendant at the gate that you want to go to the gift shop. They will give you a pass and direct you to the parking lot.
- Men's Basketball
Venue: Staples Center, downtown Los Angeles October 28, 2015 - April 13, 2016
- Women's Basketball Venue: The Dollosseum, 4900 Alhambra Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90032 Classic roller derby action on a banked roller skating track. The L.A. Derby Dolls is a league comprised of four local teams that meet for two matches per month, except July. Championships begin in December. The L.A. Ri-Ettes are L.A. Derby Dolls' all-star team that competes on a national level.
More Sports Teams in Los Angeles
Venue: Coliseum in Exposition Park
Schedule: 2016 is TBD
Description: The Rams have been officially approved by the NFL to return to Los Angeles for the 2016 season. The team will build a new stadium in Inglewood, which is estimated to be completed by 2019.
Giovani dos Santos of the L.A. Galaxy
Venue: StubHub Center, Carson L.A.'s championship Major League Soccer (MLS) soccer team. The club also fields a United Soccer League (USL) team called LA Galaxy II.
Venue: Exposition Park
Schedule: TBD in 2018
Description: Announced in October 2014, the LAFC team owners include celebrities such as Earvin "Magic" Johnson (basketball player), Will Ferrell (Hollywood actor) and Tony Robbins (motivational speaker). Construction of a new arena will begin around May 2016, at the site of the Sports Arena, next to the L.A. Memorial Coliseum.
- Women's Football
Venue: Carson High School
The Carson Bobcats are the newest members of the Independent Women's Football League (IWFL). Led by Head Coach Bobby Hosea, the Carson Bobcats bring a veteran roster and coaching staff to the league. Known for his Helmet Free Tackle Training program, Coach Hosea also hopes to share the benefits of safer tackling with the world of women's football by showcasing the technique used by the Bobcats. The team is looking for more players, and is holding tryouts every Sunday through February 28, 2016. More info: Carson Bobcats tryouts
- UCLA Buins website - sports teams and sports programs offered by the Universtiy of California in Los Angeles (UCLA) in Westwood
- USC Trojans website - sports teams and sports programs offered by the University of Southern California (USC) next to Exposition Park near downtown Los Angeles.
- Annual 26.2 mile run through the streets of Los Angeles. This year's race was held on February 14, 2016. The next race will be held on March 19, 2017.
Sports Teams in Anaheim
Venue: Angel Stadium of Anaheim Originally known as the Los Angeles Angels, the team has gone through a couple of name changes (California Angels and Anaheim Angels), although their home field has been at Angel Stadium of Anaheim (formerly known as Anaheim Stadium) from 1965 to present. Angel Stadium of Anaheim is close to Disneyland.
- Arena Football
Venue: Honda Center, Anaheim Sponsored by the rock band, Kiss. Arena football is based on American football, and features performances, shows and sound effects between the plays and during half time. There is never a dull moment in arena football.
- Ice Hockey
Venue: Honda Center, Anaheim Hockey team that inspired a Disney movie. Honda Center is near Disneyland.
Los Angeles Minor League Baseball Teams
These Class A minor league baseball teams are members of the California League. They are about a one-hour drive from downtown Los Angeles, although if you're a fan of baseball then it's worth the trip. Minor League games are exciting and no matter where you sit, you'll have a great view (compared to Dodger Stadium or Angel Stadium).
Schedule: April 7 to September 5, 2016
- Houston Astros affiliate in Lancaster, about 70 miles north of downtown L.A.
- Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim affiliate in San Bernardino, about 60 miles east of downtown L.A.
- Los Angeles Dodgers affiliate in Rancho Cucamonga, about 40 miles east of downtown L.A.
- San Diego Padres affiliate in Lake Elsinore, about 70 miles east of downtown L.A.
- Seattle Mariners affiliate in Adelanto, about 85 miles northeast of downtown L.A.